One of iOS 9’s most useful features on modern iPads is the ability to playback videos from the Home screen or other apps using picture-in-picture. Video services have to opt-in to supporting PIP, though, so it means App Store apps must be updated before the feature works.
HBO has done just that with their iOS 9 update for iPad, supporting picture-in-picture when you leave the HBO Now app while you’re watching a movie or TV show. The feature is only mentioned in the update for the standalone HBO Now service, however, so the HBO Go version which requires a cable subscription may not support it.
Both HBO Now and Go do add support for Spotlight search from the Home screen though. This means you can search for a series or film by swiping down from any screen or to the left of your first Home screen and type in title that you want to view.
What’s New in Version 3.1.0
• Seamlessly search and engage with premium HBO content using iOS Spotlight Search (compatible with iOS 9 and above).
• Enjoy full screen video playback on your iPad.
• Experience improved Chromecast User Experience along with better error handling.
What’s New in Version 1.3.0
– Released compatibility support for iOS 9
– Optimized for accessibility of HBO content in Apple universal spotlight search
– Introduced Picture in Picture functionality
– Miscellaneous bug fixes and stability improvements