In this week’s top stories: Our iPhone 8 rumor roundup, Tim Cook says AirPods are a runaway success, Apple’s ‘New Year’ Apple Watch Activity Challenge, and Zac and Benjamin discuss what’s next from Apple in this week’s 100th episode of 9to5Mac’s Happy Hour podcast.
We kick things off this week with our iPhone 8 roundup taking a look at all the intel on what Apple has in store for its next flagship smartphone lineup. A claimed iOS 10.3 beta 1 leak hints at an upcoming Dark Mode for iPhones and iPads. Consumer Reports responds to its MacBook Pro battery test controversy. And Apple starts promoting a month-long ‘New Year’ Apple Watch Activity Challenge.
Ben gives you his end-of-year report card for Apple’s 2016 performance. Zac reviews Nanoleaf’s Aurora smart lighting panels with HomeKit. And Jeff takes LG’s new 5K UltraFine display for a spin in this week’s top videos.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below:
iPhone | iOS |
- Report: Apple planning new 5-inch iPhone model with vertical dual-camera design for 2017
- Engineer who wrote 6% of OS X kernel shares a few snippets about iPhone secrecy
- How to screen share with iOS and macOS to help friends and family with new devices
- iPhone 8: Everything we currently know about Apple’s 10th anniversary flagship
- Leaker claims iOS 10.3 beta 1 codename ‘Erie’ featuring new theatre (dark?) mode, more
- San Francisco restaurant now using iPads as plates in effort to reach younger audience
- Review: Griffin Cove 5-port USB Charging Station accommodates all your Apple devices
- Tim Cook calls AirPods ‘a run away success’, says Apple making units ‘as fast as we can’
- Apple’s AirPods are getting glowing reviews, so why aren’t YOU buying them? [Poll]
- Here’s how to be notified the moment your local Apple Store has AirPods in stock
- Best photography apps for your new iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
- Buyer’s Guide: 10 apps to buy with that iTunes gift card you were just given
- HandBrake, the ultimate video format converter, finally out of beta after 13 years
- Apple promoting fitness in January with month-long ‘New Year’ Apple Watch Activity Challenge
- Opinion: My end-of-year report card for Apple’s 2016 performance
- Comment: Apple continues to explore bringing the Digital Crown to iPhones & iPads, and I still like the idea
This week’s top videos |
- Hands-on with Akitio’s new Thunderbolt 3 storage enclosures [Video]
- Review: Nanoleaf’s Aurora smart lighting panels match modular customization with HomeKit control [Video]
- Hands-on: LG Apple-endorsed 5K Display – an UltraFine choice for MacBook Pro owners? [Video]
- Apple Campus 2 4K drone footage captures auditorium close-ups, much more [Video]
- Mockup imagines what the rumored Jet White iPhone 7/7 Plus would look like [Video]
Happy Hour Podcast #100 |
This week Zac and Benjamin discuss everything Apple could unveil, release or discontinue in 2017.
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
Clock pictured in top image from 9to5Toys: This gorgeous desk clock is made with vintage Soviet Union Nixie tubes